4 Days Mahout Training
This special tour allows you a unique close contact with elephants. You will develop a deep insight into the Asian culture of elephant keeping. Being this close to these gentle giants is guaranteed to be an unforgettable experience.
Duration : 4 days / 3 nights
Overview: Start in Bangkok – 2 nights Home Stay in the Elephant Camp – Ending in Chiang Mai
Day 1: Bangkok – Lampang
At around 19:30 you will leave by train from Bangkok to Lampang. You will travel in a 1st class couchette with air conditioning.
Day 2: Lampang – Elephant Camp
Arrive at the station of Lampang the next morning at about 7 a.m. Transfer by car a distance of 25 km to the elephant training camp.
The participants will receive typical mahout clothing and will be assigned to their accommodation, each room will be occupied by 1 or 2 persons. The accommodation is simple; there is a fan, closet, shower, hot water, toilet, mosquito net and a terrace. Around 9 a.m. participants will each be assigned their own personal elephant and mahout, who they will be working with for the next 2 days. Overnight in the Elephant Camp.
The program is as follows:
- Learn the 14 mahouts’ commands to the elephants
- How to get on and off the elephant
- How to sit and ride on the neck of the elephant and control its movements with your feet
- Bathe and wash the elephants
- In the afternoon you take the elephant into the jungle and the next morning you will collect it.
At noon, lunch will be served in the camp’s restaurant. In the evenings a dinner (Thai food) will be served at the lodging.
Meals: Lunch, Dinner
Day 3: Elephant Camp
The same training program as in day 2. In the evening, we will prepare our dinner together. Overnight in the Elephant Camp.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 4: Elephant Camp – Chiang Mai
At 10 a.m., in front of an audience, the participants will demonstrate their skills. Then you will receive your certificate stating that you have passed the elephant driving license successfully. Around 12 p.m. we will drive to Chiang Mai, either to the airport or to your hotel in Chiang Mai. Meals: Breakfast
3 nights in the Elephant Camp.
Included in the services:
- Train ticket -1st class couchette with air condition, from Bangkok to Lampang
- 2 nights at the Elephant Camp
- 2 x breakfast, 2 x lunch, 2 x dinner
- Training with English speaking guidance
- Insurance during the training
- Transfers as listed above
- Meals that are not mentioned above
- Personal expenses and tips
This tour starts on Mondays and Thursdays.
Our prices in Thai Baht *
Per person in a double room
One person in a single room
Children over 6 years old
pay full price
pay full price
*Prices are valid until 31 October 2019
*USD prices are based on the exchange rate from Thai Baht at the time of publishing.